Friday, August 20, 2010

Pre-departure News


How nice it is to return home. Gabe and I got back to Brooklyn early Friday morning, and have been soaking in the comforts of life with furniture, and internet. Back to the bustling world of New York we're now able to share the good news with you all. As some of you might have heard already through the cyber grapevine, Gabe and I are engaged.

The tremendous outpouring of congratulations, well wishes, and surprised excitement has been heartwarming. We're very excited to share a life together of curiosity, creativity and love. This announcement might be surprising to some, others were placing bets, but most importantly we believe this is a sign of our commitment and hope in our future. Ideas of a wedding are tossed about, but the main concern for us now is to focus on our immediate goals. With only a few days remaining before I take off for Germany there is a lot on our minds, and a lot to look forward to. Although parting will be difficult, we both have remarkable changes that will keep us occupied. Gabe is starting a director position at RARE Gallery in early September, while I'll be starting work in the classroom. So the pre-departure news consists of the story many of you've been asking: how did it go down?

Well to get to the proposal point I have to explain the week's worth of glory. We left NY last Friday on a bus that bolted us to Boston, making it there at the grim hour of 2:30 am. There was a picture I thought of including but it was definite black-mail material. After a brief rest and EARLY breakfast at a Boston Diner we took to the streets on our bike. Our first day was the most grueling. Supposedly 50 miles with google maps, the winding directions took us, we estimate, about 75 miles until we reached our campsite at Miles Standish National Park. To avid bikers that distance seems very feasible; to me though, carrying a hefty pack and riding an outdated Schwinn tested my limits.  However, I'm happy to say that we made it! Our friend Pat Weise is inspiration to a. not complain, and b. become a long-distance cylcist. I've included a picture of my proud biker tan, not so secretly envying Gabe's olive complexion. Our days continued in a breeze of glorious summer sun and scenic road rides. We camped at State forests--Miles Standish, as mentioned before, and Shawme Crowell. The later was much more serene and quiet, despite the earth-shaking thunderstorm at 4 am that drove us into the bathroom shelter. We also camped at two beaches--in Wellfleet and at the very tip of the Provincetown hook. Both provided lulling ocean early bedtimes and breathtaking sunrises.

So that brings me to the story you're probably searching for: he proposed by writing it in the sand. We'd been talking about this now for a while, but the morning wake-up call was clever. The beach, was my favorite part of this trip. We laughed a lot, napped in the warm sand, skipped rocks, and somewhat swam in the chilly saltwater.  We concluded are trip in Provincetown. Unexpectedly we arrived in town somewhat exhausted and ready for coffee. At the quaint shop the server asked if we were ready for the party. "Party?" "Carnival's tomorrow." So my first experience of the most liberal city was definitely the most colorful show. The theme was Jungle! so I felt overly covered in a summer dress. It was a lot of fun to take in the city, the sites, and then fly away on the über fast ferry to Boston. Coming full circle, we bused it back to our present home. So that's the news for now. I'll write again when in Rome...ah hem I mean Germany. I will be in touch. With love from New York, all the best.
Pat I hope you're proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment