Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ich bin eben angekommen/I just arrived

My final days in New York were all I could have hoped for. I slept in, drank coffee at Outpost, and most importantly spent time with loved ones. Lydia, Gabe and I ventured to the Natural History Museum (one of my all-time favorites). It was the busiest day I'd ever seen, probably due to the excellent rainy museum-day weather and the height of tourist season. Due to our lovely friend Janeen, we got an amazing voucher that enabled us to see the planetarium movie, and two special exhibitions for free! It was a grand day at the museum, then to top that off we were treated to dinner by the Lyons. Their excitement to see me again was incredibly touching. I couldn't have been more fortunate with the work I've had in Manhattan, teaching at Discovery and watching Jimmy and Katie. They are incredible kids, and I will sorely miss them. During dinner they were quite amazingly showed off their talent as spoon balancers (shown below). That marked the end to my ten months in the city. With all my friends, culture, and opportunities in the Big Apple, it definitely fulfilled my childhood dream of making it there. Yet, I'm comfortable with the fact that when I return to the states Gabe and I'll be searching for new spots to live.

                                                   

So onto Germany.  My flight went smoothly, although I didn't sleep much. I'm not normally outwardly emotional, but somehow traveling gets me. Listening to the sentimental mix Gabe made, plus the weariness of time zone change, made me prone to feeling a bit under the weather. Yet, when I arrived in Berlin the skies cleared, and I felt rejuvenated. I was greeted warmly at the gate by Wera  (host sister from my semester abroad), her boyfriend Chris, and friend Mario, and how happy that made me! Back to the good ol' times in Berlin. That evening we slowly cooked a fantastic curry dinner, served with homemade lavender/honey bread, and laughed heartily with Doris and Klaus (former host parents). Afterwards we went to the familiar singing group that I enjoyed so much when here two years before.

Returning to Berlin before starting my assistantship was wholeheartedly the right choice. I'm reconnecting with old friends and reliving memories in this lively city. I most certainly will be coming back here throughout the year, as I see it as a home away from home. Tonight I'm meeting up with my good friend Rachel, who was also a FU-Bester (my exchange program). Surely there will be some stories from our outings together. Until später,

Alles gute! 

1 comment:

  1. Kyra thank for talking about me and jimmy we all miss you. Love Katie

    ReplyDelete