Monday, August 30, 2010

Ich werde Giessen geniessen/ I will enjoy Giessen

So I've arrived! Destination point came after heartfelt goodbyes, an early morning train, and several great conversations. Aber vorher, I'll explain the last couple days. Too much happened in Berlin to recount. Let me begin by saying: Liebe kommt durch den Magen, or literally translated Love comes through the stomach. Wera, Chris and I slaved many hours in the kitchen, while laughing a lot and enjoying every minute. Hmm... curried chicken with vegetables one night, Moroccan Tajine dishes by a party with fresh mint tea and sweet couscous desert, and naturally homemade spätzle with a sinfully good mushroom/meat sauce. Echt Lecker! Last night we had a tremendous dinner of tacos-both beef and fish. Although they were far from true Mexican cuisine, they were enormously good. And as I've said before, I have yet to find real, good, Mexican food in Germany. But that can wait for now because my stomach is ganz statt (well-fed) and my heart is full as well.

I've had such endearing experience here already. After a sweet goodbye to my host-mom, I boarded the train and quickly met a travel friend. Apparently in a week my german has returned to me, because my conversations were quite interesting on the train. I met a guy moving to Marburg from Berlin; we chatted about Berlin naturally, our new cities, politics, education, and finding meaningful jobs. Shortly after he left a very comical grandfather began asking me questions and telling stories of his relatives. When I got off at Giessen I then met a very friendly PhD student who was also searching for the Marktplatz. My venture with luggage was almost done. After going in a circle I found the correct quiet street where I live. Ksenia, the woman I'm renting from, was great to meet me there and help me carry my one large suitcase to the top floor. Its unexplainable the feeling of discovering the new place you call home. Already I went into the city for the afternoon and looked for necessary cheap things to make this room homey. However, the only thing I bought (besides groceries) were rain boots. Although one would think in a very precipitous climate people would gladly wear rain boots, most of the shops I searched had none. But at last my hunt came to an end in TK Maxx, yes the Deutsch version of TJ Max. Therefore, currently my feet are dry and warm.

After returning to my new spot I was pleasantly surprised by very good accordian music coming from the apartment below. This new place has me in wonder, and my tired state puts me into an even greater sense of dreaming. These last few days even I have awoken remembering specifically of speaking German in very descriptive dreams. This practice came in handy as I was invited by Ksenia to a University opening party. After the official greeting party for this month-long international program, we all went to a cafe/bar across the street. I felt a strong satisfaction sitting at a quiet table amongst professors and university staff, conversing in German about various things and possibilities here in Giessen, while in the back room sat almost seventy international students speaking english ganz deutlich (extremely loudly). I've moved on, most certainly, from the erasmus/foreign exchange stage, and I'm very excited to become integrated here, amongst this small community, and soon too in the school where I'll be working.

For the past few days, although I have had such a grandiose time, I have a lot of time to think and reflect on my decisions. Often I have been thinking of my friend Ariel Lawson, as many of you know, passed away this last January. When I was talking with Doris, about what has changed us in the two years since we've seen one another, we both had unfortunate stories. Doris also lost a dear friend to cancer last winter, and I could see that even though we couldn't communicate the sense of loss, we understood each others suffering. While traveling all of the senses seem to have a heightened consciousness for new surroundings, and so to enjoy this discovery brings an emotional pining. I want my friend to also experience life now in this way. It has made me reflect what I want out of this experience. Without a doubt, I am determined to make the most of this environment change. I know there are difficult days flipside miraculous ones; therefore to make the most of what life presents, I'll remember that all moments are fleeting, and its best to acknowledge them in wonderment.

Keep your lebenslust/passion for life!
Liebe Grüße,
Kyra

No comments:

Post a Comment