Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sonnenseite des Lebens (The sunny side of life)



Well back again, home in Giessen from almost a week away. This past week I travelled to Köln then Altenberg for the Fulbright/PAD Einführungstagung (Introduction meeting). That means, I was with a group of roughly 140 assistants from the US (mostly), British, Australia and New Zealand. We spent nearly four days at the magnificent Haus Altenberg, currently a conference center. The newer residential/office building is connected to the Altenberg Dom (pictured below). Although we were kept very busy during the orientation, I found some time to wander through the densely beautiful surrounding forest, and enjoy some meet and greet time with fellow assistants. The weather was grand until the final hour of our stay. That being said, boarding the buses in the rain made going home all the more welcome. During this time, I was fortunate enough to have a fabulous roommate--Ginger Kern.  She is the closest Fulbrighter to me as she works in Laubach, which is about thirty minutes by car from Giessen. She spent this past weekend with me and hopes to move to here in the upcoming months. Already we have a great connection, and continue to find similar interests and characteristics. Among many of our found similarities, she is also a good ol' mid-westerner from Wisconsin. Yet, more importantly we share the love of arts, music, and free-spiritedness.

Yesterday the sun brightened all Giesseners' spirits, visible by the hustle and bustle throughout the town. We visited the morning market, then met up with another new friend--Rick. Rick was a Fulbrighter last year, and this year continues to teach through PAD (Pädagogischer Austauschdienst) in Giessen. I departed my new friends for a couple of hours to tutor my first private lesson! Teaching business english is actually quite enjoyable, and I am looking forward to acquiring more english learning students. Private lessons will be one way in which I busy my free-time here. Another way I'll spend time is by simply enjoying the sunny side of life. This weekend was a perfect example. After the lesson Rick, Ginger and I cooked a delicious falafel dinner, packed it up, and headed to the Schwanteich Park (Swan pond). My first friend in Giessen, Allen, joined in on the fun, bringing along his Gitarre to make the picnic officially quaint. Although I need to memorize some texts, Allen and I have already found a few songs (Indigo Girls mostly) that we'll perform together.


The weekend now is fast vorbei, and I need to be going to bed soon in order to be a wide-awake assistant tomorrow. Before I go however, I wanted to share a few goals I have planned for this year. If not for you all, writing this down makes it stronger determination for myself. Here it goes:
The swans look docile here, but one was quite feisty
trying to eat our picnic.
Never before was I so scared of a bird. 
1. Improve my German. I am frustrated at times because I always have too much to say, as you know, and it is much more difficult to say it in a foreign language.
2. Maintained a balanced well-being, and focus energy on all aspects of health. Big goal... to break it down: Swim, run, and practice yoga routinely. Aim to enter a sprint (shorter version) triathlon in the Spring. Eat well and cook mostly vegetarian meals for myself (and friends). Lastly, practice times of solitude, meditation and reflection.
3. Make art! Continue with my project ideas outside and in the classroom.

I hope your goals and current life ambitions are also pulsating in your motivated heart. And always look on the bright side of life (name that movie)!

Until später friends,
Kyra

1 comment:

  1. You always impress and inspire me! It does not surprise me that you are already making connections with new people and forming what I am sure will be deep friendships. I really like your idea to have the kids explore identity through art. I think that could be an extraordinarily meaningful project for both you and the kids. You sound like you are having a wonderful time and I hope that is truly the case. But don't have TOO good a time- I would miss you too much if you never come back!!

    Love,
    Your Cuz

    ReplyDelete